Starting point :
Library of Codognè, Piazzale G.Ancillotto
Starting point coordinates :
From the library in “Ancillotto” square, in “Borgo Municipio” in the hamlet of “Codognè”, walk along “Roma Street” passing in front of “Villa Toderini” (18th century). At the capital of “Our lady of the Rosary”, follow “Ferracini Street” which will allow us to enter in the open countryside and then reach the fraction of “Roverbasso” where “Villa Rosa” and the church of “Santa Maria Assunta del Palù” are located. After visiting the ancient capital of “San Crisostomo” (10th century), we arrive at “Borgo Chiesa” where there is the archpriest of Saint Andrew (interesting fresco by Francesco Da Milano). The ring ends by passing in front of “Villa Travaini” (18th century) on “Roma Street”. A variant includes a visit to the “Prese” area, near the “Resteja” waterfalls; another has as its objective the ancient church of “San Clemente” (9th century) and the hamlet of “Cimetta” where the church of “San Ulderico” is located, known for the altarpiece by “Palma il Giovane”.
“Villa Toderini” was built around 1691 by the will of the brothers “Giambattista and Todero Toderini”, for their imminent aggregation to the Venetian aristocracy. In fact, they were registered in the gold book of the nobility on 25 July 1694 by paying the sum of one hundred thousand ducats. It is a typical example of a Venetian villa on the mainland, conceived not only as a residence but above all with the function of agricultural exploitation of the neighbouring lands. Attributed to “Girolamo Frigimelica” (Padua 1653 – Modena 1732), it has some stylistic similarities like the stable of “Villa Pisani in Stra”, the most famous work of the Paduan architect. In ancient times, instead of the current lawn, there was a lush garden. The villa is known for having hosted the great poet Ugo Foscolo for a short time. During his stay, he composed two of his Youth Poems, “My time” and “The cross”, dedicated to the life of “Maria Teresa Toderini” (1795 – 1796).